Saturday, December 6, 2008

Preamble... let the cooking begin

One might think that a blog entitled such as this is written by a host/chef extraordinaire. Well that's not the case, but I'd love for it to someday be true. I started cooking just a few years ago when, after many a mishap (read: cookies catching fire in the oven, serving chicken burnt outside and undercooked inside, and one fateful visit from the fire department), I got tired of reheating Chinese takeout (though I was a pro at that point) and decided to teach myself how to cook. Before this I had always considered myself a pretty good baker - though I hadn't ventured much outside of Nestle Tollhouse cookies and boxed cakes. After two years of cooking, I've found several thing to be true: (1) Oil does not boil, (2) If you bake a cake from scratch it will look like a lumpy, deflated tire if you don't follow the directions, and (3) The line between thinking that I can cook anything and actually being able to cook anything is quite large.

My goal for this blog is to share the recipes that I'm using in my very own kitchen - with all of my individual tweaks, quirks and yes mishaps. I try between 3-4 new recipes per week, so visit often! Hopefully we'll be able to learn something together :)

What's for dinner tonight? Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Maple Cinnamon Sage Brown Butter Sauce.* The dish is for a holiday party that my husband and I are attending tonight. I wanted to put a twist on traditional holiday sweet potato recipes - I've made butternut squash gnocchi in the past and found it absolutely delicious, so I'm hoping this recipe produces similar results. I'll let you know!

*courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis and the Food Network's website: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/sweet-potato-gnocchi-with-maple-cinnamon-sage-brown-butter-recipe/index.html

No comments: